Two Macau Residents Among Four Killed In Taiwan Explosion



Two Macau residents died on Monday after an explosion at a shopping mall in Taichung, central Taiwan, which left at least four people dead, authorities in the semi-autonomous region said.


"According to preliminary information, two Macau residents died and one was seriously injured, pending confirmation of details," read a statement from the Macau Government Tourist Office (MGTO).


The DST also said it is monitoring the case and in "contact with the family to provide appropriate assistance", expressing "deep condolences to the family" of the victims.


At least four people died in the blast, with one person taken to hospital with "no vital signs", according to Taiwanese firefighters.


Seven people were also injured, according to the same source.


An initial assessment by Taiwanese authorities indicated that one person had died and ten people were hospitalized, with four showing no vital signs.


The explosion occurred in the food court on the 12th floor of the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi shopping mall in Taichung City.


Dozens of firefighters were sent to the scene, where parts of the building's exterior were damaged and debris scattered across the streets.


Taichung Vice Mayor Cheng Chao-hsin said he had been told the explosion may have been caused by a gas leak, something that has not yet been confirmed.


If you need assistance, Macau residents can call the tourism hotline +853 2833 3000, which operates 24 hours a day.