The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has fired four Federal Disaster Management Agency (FEMA) employees for making payments to hotels in New York City, a department spokesman said Wednesday.
According to the statement, the unauthorized payments were made to "luxury hotels" that hosted illegal immigrants and alleged criminals from the Tren de Aragua group.
"FEMA was funding the Roosevelt Hotel, which serves as the base of operations for the Tren de Aragua and was used to house Laken Riley's killer. Not a single cent will be spent that goes against the interest and safety of the American people," the note adds.
The spokesperson also says that Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem has managed to recover the $59 million (56.7 million euros) paid by FEMA.
"Secretary Noem has recovered all payments that FEMA deep state activists unilaterally made to New York immigrant hotels," it adds.
On February 10, Elon Musk, who heads the Office of Government Efficiency (DOGE) accused the Federal Disaster Management Agency (FEMA) of paying $59 million to "luxury hotels" in New York where illegal immigrants are staying.
In a message published on the social network X, which he owns, Musk wrote that the payment made by FEMA to the hotels, which is around 57 million euros, is "a violation of the law and a flagrant insubordination to President Trump's executive order", and announced a "lawsuit to recover these funds".
The billionaire did not present documentary evidence of the FEMA expenditure, which he says was discovered by his department, and mentioned that the payment to the agency was made last week, during the term of US President Donald Trump, who took office on January 20.
Musk, who is extremely active on his social media, reposted another user who claims that FEMA, which allegedly paid the $59 million to New York hotels, was responsible for the eviction of 3,000 victims of the recent Hurricane Helene in North Carolina from other hotels.
The migrants staying in New York hotels are almost exclusively families with young children and many of them were recently told they must vacate their rooms within weeks, according to Spanish news agency EFE.
A survey released today by the television station CBS reveals that President Trump's plan to deport immigrants has the approval of 59% of Americans.
No comments:
Post a Comment