Iran Calls for Urgent UN Security Council Meeting



Tehran today called for an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council to "take a firm stance and strongly and clearly condemn" Israel's attacks on the Persian country, which resulted in the death of four Iranian soldiers the day before.


"Given the consequences of the continuous and systematic aggressions of the Israeli regime, the Islamic Republic of Iran calls on the UN Secretary-General (António Guterres) and the Security Council to take a firm stance and strongly and clearly condemn the Israeli regime," Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said in a letter addressed to Guterres and members of the Security Council, according to IRNA.


Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said that "Iran has no limits in protecting and defending its interests, its territorial integrity and its people."


Furthermore, in a telephone interview with state television, the head of Iranian diplomacy stressed that "all the countries in the Middle East region and other states such as Japan, Malaysia and Indonesia, and even some Europeans" condemned the Israeli aggression, which he denounced as having been carried out with the complicity of the United States.


"The Americans provided a corridor for the Israeli air force and the defence equipment that was sent to them in advance is considered a kind of participation in the recent operations," Araqchi denounced.


The Iranian minister stated that the involvement of the United States in creating tensions in the region "is quite obvious".


According to the Iranian armed forces, Israeli fighter jets used American airspace in Iraq to launch long-range air-to-surface missiles against Iranian air defence systems and radars in the provinces of Ilam, Khuzestan and Tehran, killing four soldiers.


However, US officials said Washington was not directly involved in the attack and had made intensive diplomatic efforts to ensure that Israel's response was proportionate and avoided nuclear or oil targets.


Meanwhile, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said his country "will respond to any stupidity with tact and intelligence," referring to Saturday's Israeli strikes on military targets in Iran that killed four soldiers.


"Iran's enemies should know that this courageous people fearlessly defends their land and will respond to any stupidity with tact and intelligence," Pezeshkian warned on his X account late Saturday.


The Iranian president praised the military forces who lost their lives in the Israeli bombings and expressed condolences to their families.


The Iranian military announced on Saturday that four soldiers had been killed "while defending the safety of Iran's skies" in the face of Israeli strikes.


The Jewish state called the strikes "precision strikes against military targets" in Iran in retaliation, it said, "for the Iranian regime's months of continuous attacks against the State of Israel," referring to Tehran's two direct attacks on its territory and offensives by its allies in the anti-Israeli "Axis of Resistance" alliance, which includes Lebanon's Hezbollah, the Palestinian Hamas and Yemen's Houthis, among others.


Nevertheless, the Iranian military's General Staff reserved the right to respond to the Israeli bombardment, which, in addition to causing four deaths, also damaged some radars.


Iran attacked Israel on October 1 with about 180 missiles in response to the assassination of Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrala in Beirut and Hamas leader Ismael Haniyeh in Tehran in July.


This was Iran's second attack on Israel, after it first launched a series of missile and drone strikes on Israeli territory last April.