The White House today assured that 10% tariffs will not be applied to Mexico and Canada, rectifying what US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had said previously.
Neither of those two countries will receive the basic 10% level at this time," said an official from the US presidential office when questioned by the Spanish news agency EFE.
Shortly before, Bessent had responded affirmatively when asked whether Mexico and Canada were included in the tariff scheme announced today by US President Donald Trump.
Trump today backed down on the trade offensive he announced a week ago and said that starting today and for 90 days, imports from the vast majority of his trading partners will be taxed at 10 percent.
The Republican leader announced in February that he would punish Mexico and Canada - arguing that they are not doing enough to combat irregular immigration and fentanyl trafficking - with a 25% tariff, although in March he froze the application of this customs duty to goods included in the trilateral T-MEC trade agreement.
When, on April 2, Trump announced what he called "reciprocal tariffs", which implied generalized 10% rates and higher volumes for other countries, regions and countries - such as China or the European Union (EU) - that import a lot to the US and have large deficits with the world's leading economy, Mexico and Canada were left off the list of punished countries.
In any case, Trump's announcement today sent prices soaring on Wall Street, after several days of heavy losses, although he excluded China from the truce and increased customs duties on this country by up to 125%, after the Asian giant responded and announced trade retaliations against the US last week.
No comments:
Post a Comment