UN Alarmed by ‘Acute Famine’ Affecting 26 Million People



The United Nations said that around 26 million people suffer from "acute hunger" in Sudan and expressed "extreme concern" about the worsening food security situation in the country, which has been at war since April 2023.



The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) indicated that more than 750,000 people are "one step away from hunger" due to rising food prices and difficulties in distributing aid due to the conflict.



And he said food prices rose 16% in June compared to May, with a cumulative increase of 120% compared to June 2023, a situation that "will only get worse" due to the current rainy season.


"The Tine border post, which is used to transport supplies from Chad to Darfur, is currently impassable due to heavy rains and flooding. Many routes in southern Sudan are also inaccessible," the agency said.


The agency stressed that the country "faces the worst possible scenario" and insisted that "the humanitarian community urgently needs access through all possible routes to avoid further deterioration of the situation" in Sudan.


"The provision of more funds is also crucial. As of today, this year's humanitarian appeal for Sudan is just over 30% funded", highlighted OCHA, with the crisis worsening and fighting continuing, with the parties have so far been unable to reach a ceasefire agreement.


The war broke out on April 15, following sharp disagreements between the army and the Rapid Reaction Forces (RSF) over the integration of the paramilitary group into the armed forces, which derailed the transition process following the dismissal of Omar Hassan al. -Bashir, after 30 years in power, in a military coup in April 2019.