Trump's Election Will Bring Peace To Wars In Gaza And Lebanon, Says France



The French Foreign Minister argued today in Jerusalem that the election of Donald Trump as President of the United States opens up a “diplomatic perspective” for ending the wars in Gaza and Lebanon.


"Diplomacy is possible" in the Gaza Strip to free the approximately 100 hostages still held by Hamas, Jean-Noël Barrot said after a meeting with the outgoing Israeli Foreign Minister, Israel Katz.


"I believe that a prospect has opened up to put an end to the tragedy into which the Israelis, the Palestinians and the entire region have been plunged since October 7 [2023]," Barrot said, while also ensuring that the protection of the population of Gaza must be taken into account.


The head of French diplomacy maintained that, to this end, Israel has already achieved "very significant tactical successes", including the elimination of Hamas leader Yahya Sinouar and the election of a "new American president" who has the "will to put an end to the endless wars in the Middle East".


Outgoing Israeli counterpart Israel Katz will take over the defence portfolio on Friday after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu fired Yoav Gallant.


"It is time to put an end to the tragedy," he said, noting that Israel has been involved in several fronts for more than a year.


Barrot said the visit to Israel was aimed at "continuing a demanding dialogue on Lebanon and Gaza", where the Israeli army is fighting against Lebanese Hezbollah and Palestinian Hamas, two allies of Iran.


The French foreign minister had already visited Israel less than a month ago to mark the first anniversary of the bloody Hamas attack on southern Israel.


Wearing a yellow ribbon on the lapel of his jacket, a symbol of the hostages held in the Gaza Strip since October 7, 2023, Barrot met earlier in Tel Aviv with relatives of two Franco-Israeli hostages, Ohad Yahalomi and Ofer Kalderon.


They are among the 97 Israeli hostages still held in the Gaza Strip, 34 of whom are believed to have been killed by the Israeli army.


According to his office, Barrot is also expected to hold talks with Ron Dermer, a member of the government and a close aide to the Israeli prime minister, as well as with Netanyahu himself.


In the past year, several French foreign ministers have visited Israel and the Palestinian territories.


During his stay in Israel, Barrot will also visit the French national estate of Eleona, which includes a Benedictine monastery, and the Mount of Olives in East Jerusalem, the Palestinian part of the city occupied and annexed by Israel since 1967.


He will then travel to Ramallah, in the occupied West Bank, to meet with officials from the Palestinian National Authority (PNA).


On Tuesday, the head of French diplomacy told France 2 television that he was making the trip to call for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and for "respect for international humanitarian law" in the Palestinian territory besieged and devastated by more than a year of war.


"But dialogue has never been broken," Barrot said.


The visit comes at a time when relations between Israel and Paris have become increasingly tense in recent weeks, following statements by French President Emmanuel Macron, who called for a halt to the sale of weapons used in Gaza and accused Israel of "sowing barbarity".


The conflict has already claimed the lives of more than 43,000 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.