The death toll from a bus carrying 75 passengers crashed into a bridge at the northern entrance to Guatemala City on Monday rose to at least 51, rescue officials at the scene said, according to AFP.
Local firefighters reported that the bodies of 51 people were removed from the scene. This is already one of the worst accidents recorded in the country in recent years.
"There are 51 bodies in the temporary morgue," a spokesman for the local fire department told reporters.
Another firefighter, identified by international agencies as José Santizo, also confirmed the new death toll, as well as reporting that a single command had been formed with the "various rescue services in the country".
The previous death toll provided by authorities was 31.
The accident involved a bus carrying 75 passengers that fell off the Belize Bridge, the main access bridge to the capital of Guatemala from the north and northeast areas.
The bus had left San Agustin Acasaguastlan, in the department of El Progreso, about 100 kilometers from Guatemala City.
No comments:
Post a Comment