Guterres Condemns Death of UN Official Detained by Huthis



UN Secretary-General António Guterres has "strongly" condemned the death in custody of a World Food Programme (WFP) staff member in northern Yemen after he was detained by Houthi rebels in January.



Guterres expressed his “deepest condolences” to the employee’s family and colleagues at the WFP, and called for an “immediate, transparent and thorough investigation and for those responsible to be held accountable for their actions.”


In a statement released Tuesday, the Portuguese said that "the circumstances surrounding this deplorable tragedy remain unclear and the UN is calling for urgent explanations from the de facto authorities."


Since 2021, the Huthis have arrested several UN workers, a number that now stands at around 25.


Dozens of staff from the United Nations, Yemeni and international non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations and diplomatic missions “remain in detention, some of them for several years,” Guterres said.


“Their continued arbitrary detention is unacceptable,” the UN Secretary-General lamented.


“I reiterate my call for their immediate and unconditional release,” Guterres added, noting that the UN “is closely monitoring this situation” and will continue to take “appropriate measures to ensure the safety of its staff in their efforts to assist the Yemeni people.”


The Portuguese man's reaction came hours after the WFP confirmed the death of one of the workers, whose identity was not disclosed, detained by the Huthis since January 23 for unknown reasons.


The fatal victim had been working at this UN agency since 2017.


“We mourn this tragic loss and express our deepest condolences to the family and loved ones,” said WFP, which reiterated its call to the Houthis that humanitarian workers “are always protected, and never attacked, during their humanitarian work.”


WFP Executive Director Cindy McCain said she was "devastated and outraged" by the worker's death after he was "arbitrarily arrested" in Yemen.


"A dedicated humanitarian worker and father of two, who played a crucial role in our mission to provide vital food assistance," McCain said on Twitter, adding that humanitarian workers "are not a target."


The UN on Monday suspended all operations in Yemen's northern Sa'ada province after several UN staff were arrested.


The arrests, repeatedly denounced by the UN, come amid a deepening humanitarian crisis in Yemen, where nearly a decade of conflict between rebels and internationally recognized authorities has left 17.6 million people -- half the population -- food insecure.