Hamas Reports 57 Deaths In Attacks In The Gaza Strip



Authorities in the Gaza Strip said today that five Israeli bombings, which hit the enclave on Tuesday night and this morning, including a school that houses displaced people, killed 57 people.


Previously, the Civil Defense of the Gaza Strip, controlled by local authorities of the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, had announced the death of 44 people in three attacks.



Now, in addition to the 57 deaths, there were "dozens of injuries", according to the same organization.


The attacks took place near a petrol station in Al-Mawasi, near Khan Yunis, a house in Al-Zawaida, a mosque in the Nusseirat refugee camp and a school run by the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees ( UNRWA), also in the Nusseirat camp and, finally, near a roundabout in Beit Lahia, according to Civil Defense.


The Israeli army said it was targeting "terrorists using a UNRWA school in the Nusseirat region" and "a company commander" of the fundamentalist Islamic Jihad movement "in western Khan Yunis", according to a statement.


The army also stated that it had adopted "numerous measures" to reduce the risk of targeting civilians in the attack on the school and once again accused Hamas of hiding behind civilians and using the population as a human shield, which Hamas regularly denies.