Israel Claims Death of Hezbollah Commander in South Lebanon



The Israeli army claimed today to have shot down Hezbollah commander Muhammad Hassin Ramal during an air strike on Tayibe, southern Lebanon.


“[Ramal] directed many terrorist attacks against the State of Israel and against Israeli soldiers on the ground,” said a statement released today.


The same document adds that Israeli troops are continuing the incursion into southern Lebanon launched on October 1, saying that in the last few hours a Shiite militia arsenal has been located and dismantled and that the weapons were being prepared for attacks against northern Israel. 


“Among the weapons located are sniper rifles and a Burkan-2 artillery rocket launcher,” the statement said.  


The Israelis also reported that in the early hours of the morning, Hezbollah (Party of God) fired 15 shots at Israel, setting off alarm bells in Haifa. 


Meanwhile, the Lebanese Shiite group announced in a statement a “new phase of escalation” in the confrontation with Israel, “which will be reflected in the unfolding of events over the next few days”.


Hezbollah's announcement came just hours after the Israeli army confirmed the death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar in a military operation in Rafah, in the south of the Gaza Strip.


Sinwar was accused by Israel of having conceived and prepared the Hamas attacks on October 7 last year against Israeli territory.