Macau Wants to Use Visa Exemption to Bring Portuguese Businesspeople to China



Macau wants to take advantage of China's visa-free policy, which comes into effect on Tuesday, to invite Portuguese businesspeople and mayors to participate in activities in mainland China, a leader told Lusa today.


On September 30, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that it would extend the visa-free policy to Portuguese citizens, thus including Portugal in a list that already included 16 other European countries.


The measure, which allows Portuguese citizens to stay in China for tourism, business or transit for a maximum of 15 days, comes into effect on October 15 and will run until December 31, 2025.


"In line with this policy, we will invite Portuguese exhibitors at MIF [the acronym for the Macao International Trade and Investment Fair] to participate in activities in mainland China," said the president of the region's Trade and Investment Promotion Institute (IPIM) today.


Vincent U U Sang also said that "leaders from some cities in Portugal" will also participate in the 29th edition of MIF, which will take place between Wednesday and Saturday.



The fair will feature 183 exhibitors from the nine Portuguese-speaking countries, confirmed the leader, who admitted a reduction compared to last year, which attracted around 260 Portuguese-speaking exhibitors.


Even so, the president of IPIM defended that the organization of MIF "managed to achieve its objectives" by setting up the Exhibition Area Alluding to the Markets of Portuguese-Speaking Countries, with more than 200 stands.


"Lusophone companies and exhibitors are very important elements for MIF", assured Vincent U.


The Portuguese-speaking exhibitors present cover industries such as technology, machinery and agricultural products, finance, cross-border e-commerce, logistics and cargo, cultural and creative products, food and beverage, among others.


At a press conference held today, MIF coordinator Alan Ho Hoi Ming revealed that this year's edition will feature the presence of the Angola China Chamber of Commerce and the Young Farmers Association of Portugal.


In 2023, MIF took place simultaneously with the inaugural edition of the China-Portuguese Speaking Countries Economic and Trade Exhibition (C-PLPEX), an event previously called PLPEX and organized in parallel with the Macao International Trade and Investment Fair.


This year, C-PLPEX will not take place and will return in 2025, but Vincent U did not confirm whether the event will become biennial.


"We still have to discuss with the other organizers. If we have good results [in 2025], we will evaluate it," said the president of IPIM.


Vincent U stressed that the four days of MIF will include 16 activities related to Portuguese-speaking countries and highlighted some new events, such as a session to promote trade and investment between China and Angola.