The Police of the Republic of Mozambique (PRM) fired several shots again today to disperse protesters in the Urbanização neighborhood, on the outskirts of the city of Maputo.
The clashes began around 12pm (two hours less in Lisbon) and the protesters, who had blocked the Popular Forces for the Liberation of Mozambique (FPLM) avenue with logs, reacted by throwing stones, accusing the authorities of "shooting indiscriminately."
"They wanted to remove our barricade and tried to negotiate first. We said we didn't accept because demonstrating is our right and we explained that we weren't there to make a mess. Out of nowhere, they started shooting indiscriminately. They even used real bullets," he said. he told Lusa one of the young protesters.
The clashes lasted for more than three hours, going deep into the urbanization neighborhood, along Avenida Milagre Mabote, from where the smoke from burning tires could be seen rising between the houses and several shots could be heard.
At FPLM, the avenue that gives access to Praça dos Heróis Mozambicans, after dispersing the protesters with tear gas, the police, with dogs and at least one armored vehicle, tried to unblock the highway, but the protesters placed obstacles again, also burning tires, a few meters from the 12th PRM police station.
Since October 21, Mozambique has experienced successive strikes and demonstrations, called by presidential candidate Venâncio Mondlane, who is contesting the results of the October 9 general elections.
At least 103 people have died in post-election demonstrations in Mozambique since October 21, according to an update made today by the Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Plataforma Eleitoral Decide.
According to the report released by that Mozambican electoral monitoring platform, from December 3 to 7 alone, in the current phase of demonstrations, 27 fatalities were recorded, 10 in Gaza and eight in Nampula, in addition to three deaths in Cabo Delgado.
Previously, that NGO had also counted at least 274 people shot during demonstrations and strikes challenging the election results since October 21 and 3,450 detained.
The announcement by the National Elections Commission (CNE), on October 24, of the results of the October 9 elections, in which it attributed victory to Daniel Chapo, supported by the Mozambique Liberation Front (Frelimo, party in power since 1975) in the election for President of the Republic, with 70.67% of the votes, popular protests were triggered, called by presidential candidate Venâncio Mondlane and which have degenerated into violent clashes with the police.
According to the CNE, Mondlane came in second place, with 20.32%, but it does not recognize the results, which still need to be validated and proclaimed by the Constitutional Council.
No comments:
Post a Comment