The Israeli army reiterated in a statement today that six of the 15 Palestinian rescue workers killed last month by Israeli soldiers were members of Hamas and said it "regretted" the collateral civilian casualties.
Fifteen Palestinians were killed, six of whom were later identified as Hamas terrorists," the army said, revealing the results of an investigation into the incident, which took place on March 23.
The army "regrets the damage caused to uninvolved civilians," it added.
The case concerns an Israeli attack on an ambulance convoy in Al-Hashashin, in the Rafah region, in the southern Gaza Strip, which resulted in the expulsion of the commander of the military unit involved.
"The second commander of the Golani Brigade reconnaissance unit will step down due to his responsibility as commander and for having submitted incomplete and inaccurate reports during the investigation," the military statement read, highlighting his "great courage, combat record, commitment and dedication."
The commander of the 14th Reserve Armored Brigade - the unit responsible for the attack - will also be reprimanded for his "responsibility for the incident" and the way he handled it.
The commission of inquiry found that there was no violation of the Code of Ethics of the Israeli Armed Forces, although it acknowledged “professional errors” and actions contrary to protocol, as well as a lack of adequate communication of the incident.
The inquiry concluded that the Israeli military unit was in a “hostile and dangerous combat zone”.
The soldiers initially targeted a vehicle designated as belonging to Hamas and also opened fire on Palestinian medics and emergency workers who arrived at the scene an hour later in five vehicles: four ambulances and a fire truck.
No comments:
Post a Comment